Monday, January 9, 2012

Looking Back

When I think back over the last couple of years, I am quite amazed at how it is possible to go from total devastation to contentment - and even happiness.  In the beginning, I was painfully aware that I was a widow.  Now, I tend to remember most when I look down at the wedding ring (yes I still wear it, but that's another story) or have to put my status down on some paperwork (and I just don't get why they need to know).

So, here are a few things I've learned:

  • Family is priceless (I've always known this, but it has really been driven home since Mike died).
  • Aging gracefully is an oxymoron (and if you don't believe this, I will introduce you to mom).
  • It's ok to find humor in death (we're all out of here at some point, so get over it).
  • Getting a puppy after the death of a spouse may not be such a good idea.
  • Getting a puppy after the death of a spouse will help you feel loved again (hahahaha).
  • Hiring a handyman is the next best thing to having one.
  • It's ok to cry, even months and years later.  That being said,
  • It's ok to laugh more.
  • Mini vacations with friends will make you feel like a million bucks.
  • A journal and a good pen can help you see where you've been and where you're going.
  • Everyone should have a bucket (at first it was filled with wine, then it was filled with friends.  Friends is better)
  • You are never too old to dance (no really....I'll introduce you to mom).
  • Sing!  It's good for the soul.  Finding someone to sing with you...priceless.
  • Dating again can be a little scary.  Dating again can be pretty amazing.
  • Giving yourself permission to grieve, laugh, cry, love, sing, & dance is perfectly ok.



No comments:

Post a Comment