Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Grief as a Mental Disorder

I will probably take some flack for this, but give me a break, ok?

According to the NBC Nightly News, psychiatrists would like to term grief as a mental disorder.  What a great way to get 100% of the population on medication! 

Oh, I will admit...I would have done almost anything to stop the pain in those first few months, but chose not to go the drug route.  First of all, I'm just way too pissed off thinking that medication was a good part of the reason for Mike's death.  But it's more than that. 

When do you come off the medication?  And what happens when you do?  Not all doctors will monitor their patients.  Mike's doctor never monitored him.  I don't have a lot of faith.  Is it possible that, once medicated, you won't really be able to grieve?  Grief is supposed to be felt.  It is supposed to cut you to the core.  And then, you are supposed to move into this new life, like it or not.  How does that happen if you are medicated?  Do you get to grieve later, when all of the support you had at the beginning wants you to "get over it?"

I will tell you...I did think I was going insane back then.  And I drank wine.  Is that better than the medication?  Well, at least it was red.  I hear there are health benefits to that.    

No comments:

Post a Comment