Monday, January 3, 2011

Celebrating the New Year

I don't get it...never have.

What has changed on January 1? The numbers of the year...that's it. Oh sure, we may make resolutions and tally up those numbers on December 31...but nothing really changes unless you make the effort.

On December 31, 2009, someone made the comment about wanting the year to be over with because it had been so bad. No it wasn't. Mike died that year, Mary was in the car accident that year...but to be honest, most of the year was pretty damned good. I spent the most amazing summer with my husband, and we were pretty happy.

On January 1, 2010, I had no resolutions...except to get through the year in one piece. In that year, I made more positive changes than ever before. Admittedly, my life had been shattered...hard to not move forward from that.

The point is...it's Life. I have watched people in my own family get stuck for years. Then a crisis hits, and BOOM! Forward they go. The thing is...they decided in that moment to make the move. Didn't have to wait until a certain date said it was time.

Things are going to happen. Life and Death will happen. Even in grief, we can do some pretty amazing things. In my opinion, doing the best you can today is all that's required.

No comments:

Post a Comment